Lodge a Complaint

Being made to feel uncomfortable, intimidated or unsafe by a member of the police force is not normal. You might like to lodge a complaint to put your concerns in writing, and help to ensure that no one else is subjected to the same behaviour. State police websites have prompts to submit complaints online.

There is generally no time limit on lodging a complaint, however police have the power to refuse to investigate an incident that occurred ‘too long ago.’ It is advised that you submit your complaint within 12 months of the incident.

When making a complaint, the information you should try to include is:

  • Your name and contact details (although you may remain anonymous)
  • A detailed description of what happened
  • Date, time and location of the incident
  • Names (if known) of the NSW Police Force employees involved
  • Details of any documents, records, witnesses, that may assist in the resolution of your complaint
  • What you expect the NSW Police Force to do about your concern
  • Any other information you consider relevant.

Once a complaint is received it will be registered. You will be provided with an identification number, and your complaint should be forwarded to a complaint handler for consideration.

After you have made a complaint to police, you can choose to contact the Ombudsman in your state or territory if you feel your concerns were not addressed. The Ombudsman can look at what processes were or were not followed by police in relation to your complaint.


If you are still not satisfied, there are more steps you can follow depending on which state or territory you live. This might be contacting a Police Integrity Commission or an Anti-Corruption Commission. knowmore has the following resource to assist you.



Charters of Victims Rights

You are entitled to rights under each jurisdiction’s Victims of Crime Act throughout the police and legal processes. Some states synthesise these rights into a Charter, while others simply link to the legislation.

NSW      VIC      QLD      ACT      SA      TAS      WA      NT

With us you can lodge a complaint

With You We Can hold police to a higher standard